Sunday, September 13, 2009

Yesterday, Today; my weekend.

Yesterday and today, saturday and sunday, was our first free weekend in Pune. Yesterday morning we all met at the program center for an informative session about yoga. I went into it a bit dissapointed that we wouldn't actually be doing yoga, and woudl instead have to listen to some guy talk to us for who knows how long. It turned out to be a great experience. The man who talked to us, Dr. Anand Joshi, was 72 years old and still as nimble as a young child. He was on and off the table top demonstrating basic yoga postures and the benefits to your body. I loved listening to him speak. His voice was very calming and almost lyrical, he tended to draw out every fourth or fifth word, then, as if someone hit fast-forward, he would speed up to make his point. He had been studying, and still is studying, yoga for 66 years and runs his own yoga and health care center.

After almost two hours we were set free to explore and wander the city of Pune. A few of us went to lunch at a nearby hotel (that's what they call restaurants) and then split up for a shopping expedition. Me and another girl on the program, Anna, decided to go to Laxmi Rd. to get some Indian clothes. I finally road in a motor rickshaw!! all of the other students have been doing it for a week or so, but because I can walk to and from school everyday I hadn't yet had the pleasure of riding in one. We were successful and I definitely enjoyed weaving in and out of traffic in the back of a tiny motor car, all the while smells of saphron and curry street food, bus pollution, trash, among others breezing by the open sides of the rickshaw. it was great. Once on Laxmi Rd. we wandered for a bit, and Anna showed me the store her host mom had taken them to buy clothes. We both got a few things and left them to be tailored (for free). I spent about 700Ruppees on two long kurtas, a short mirrored one, and leggings - that equals out to be about $14. After clothes shopping we just wandered the crowded streets, avoiding barefoot begging children with tin bowls, and gnarly old men squatting along the sidewalk. After shopping we headed back to Fergusson college via rickshaw and walked around the campus for a bit, then started for home. I had dinner with just my host grandmother (my Aaji) and we again had time for wonderful conversation.
This morning I woke up relatively early, 8ish, and went for a run on the path behind the house. There were many people on the path and I ran it a few times. However, I'm not sure if it was the heat (it hasn't been too hot though) or the pollution, but I could definitly feel it in my lungs. I had breakfast with my Aaji and then read downstairs near her. I met up with a few girls at the college around noon and we headed to the Saras Bagh gardens. We walked around the park for a bit, met an eager Indian student who seemed to want to chat with us forever, and found a Temple to Ganesh at the top at which people were ritually circling (11 times I think) and ringing a large bell upon entering. We then walked aimlessly on the streets, which was actually really nice. Wandering down the streets, snapping pictures, watching people, pearing in at the endless rows of street vendors, and just trying to soak it all up without a time limit or objective was a great feeling. We found a small corner restaurant to eat lunch and I had a tomato Uthappa (sortof like a flat bread with onions and tomatoes on it, served with spicy green chutney and some unknown red spicy sauce). We continued to walk down the streets in the direction of Laxmi Rd. in pursuit of bangles, and the store from yesterday so I could pick up my newly tailored clothes. As we were walking I was constantly aware of the contrasting architecture surrounding us. There were buildings that lookes ancient, brightly painted but obviously worn and torn through many monson seasons, next to taller, more modern cement business buildings. We stopped to explore a presumably air-conditioned sweet shop. All of the Indian desserts are usually really sweet (spicy food, sweet desserts), it was fun walking through the shop and looking at, and smelling, all of the unidentifiable little treats. We finally reached Laxmi road and found, deep in the crowds of the carless marketplace, a stand with endless sparkly bangles. We all spent some time admiring and trying some on before buying a bunch. Don't I'm bringing lots back home! I was able to orient myself and find the store to pick up my new clothes. On the the side of the street we saw two men doing beautiful Mendhi on young girls hands and arms and we wanted to stop to get it done (only 50 ruppees), but just as we were about to get it done it started to rain, big fat raindrops. I guess I have four months to get Mendhi done. We took a rickshaw back, and what do you know, only scattered rain, the sun came out within 5 minutes. Should've gotten Mendhi on the street in the rain!
I'm back home now, awaiting Ajay (my host nephew, I was saying his name wrong before) and my hostmom's return from Falton. I guess I should do some of my schoolwork now, or laundry?

Also, recently the two servant girls in the house have started calling me Bebi. My Aaji told me that is what they call young girls when they come into the house (the used to call my host mom's niece Bebi when she was in the house, and they call Ajay and his brother baba). The two girls are really sweet and I smile and head bobble at them whenever they help me out or when I leave for school. Today I didn't eat lunch at home, and when I came home my Aaji told me that one of the girls was worried I hadn't eaten before I left. Hopefully as time goes on, and as I try to learn some more Marathi I'll be able to communicate better with them.

1 comment:

  1. The question that I have is:

    What did those young lads in the picture smell as you took the picture. I presume nothing to do with the curry you had the day before?

    ReplyDelete