Monday, September 7, 2009

Durshet orientation


The first morning all 20 of us piled into 4 vans and drove for 2 hours to the orientation site. Driving through Mumbai was an adventure in itself. The traffic there is unbelievable; crowded with motor rickshaws, two wheelers, motorbikes, buses, good transport trucks, and stray pedestrians. I couldn’t peel my eyes away from the window without the fear of missing something. We drove through a major slum that strongly echoed those depicted in Slumdog Millionaire. The large expanse of the slum is unbelievable. The occasionally tin-roofed and blue tarp makeshift shelters seemed to continue for miles out into the green fields, alleyways, and side streets. Our drive continued out of the city and through the countryside. I was surprised to be reminded of Costa Rica. Everything is so green and lush, I guess before coming I never really thought of India in this way and only pictured crowded dusty cities. The drive through the countryside also brought some bursts of rain, cows obviously undisturbed by speeding traffic as they hung out in the road, and the constant cacophony of traffic horns.
We arrived at our destination; Forest Resort at Durshet and were welcomed with a yummy, curry filled lunch. Over the next 5 days we came to really love and appreciate all of the precious amenities Durshet had to offer. The wonderful septic system, the constant dampness, the endless supply of bottled water, the encroaching stench of mold, the filling meals, the predictability of chai with biscuits, and the monotony of sitting in the same room for 8 hours of orientation and grand entertainment.


O how I miss Durshet (durshit??)

No comments:

Post a Comment