Thursday, September 10, 2009

A lot of catching up to do

I am definitely not a journal person, and obviously not a blog person, but I’m going to work at it, so obviously, I have a lot of catching up to do. I’ve been in Pune now since last Saturday, Sept. 5. Finally leaving the orientation site and getting into the city was exactly what I needed. Being cooped up in the rain for five days was making me really antsy with anticipation and yes, nerves.

Before I start relaying my time in Pune so far, there are a few very important things I forgot to write about Durshet. While there we were introduced to the ”Resident Guru Ram Bapate”. As part of the orientation he spoke to us for a two hour session about everything from the political system in India to India’s economic development, and the reception of Obama in India. He is a 73-year-old man with an unbelievable wealth of knowledge and experience, and just to hear him speak and see him bobble his head yes and no was amazing. The following morning we all went on a short ‘trek’ through a nearby village accompanied by the nimble Guru. It rained for the entire hike, but Uttara, the program director, ensured that we kept our raincoat hoods up so as not to catch a cold. Anyway, being able to walk through these rural villages was unlike anything I have every done/seen before. We saw small schools to which it is ensured that children attend daily and receive meals free of charge. We saw the well where they get water and avoided the stray cows. The best part of the hike was when we were wandering through the village and a woman invited us into her home. In the company of Ram Bapat, all twenty of us took off our cowpoop covered shoes and squeezed into this woman’s small home. She served us hot Chai and we sat around the house’s one room as Ram Bapat explained to us their simple lifestyle and demonstrated how the women crush cereals and grains. He then quickly pointed out that they had a satellite on the roof and had T.V. and electricity. It was extremely humbling to be welcomed into this woman’s home and have her serve us tea. We met her six year-old son who couldn’t be pealed from his mother’s leg, and the other young girls who lived in the house with her. Being able to interact with these village people got me really excited for possible having a hands-on internship and working with those in need and learning and knowing their lifestyles, hardships, and experiences.

Okay, I thought that was important to recall, back to Pune. This first week as been about getting settled in and familiar with our surroundings. I am now settled in with my host family. Before coming I was told my family has royal lineage, I wasn't so sure what that meant, but now that I'm here I can definitely tell that they are very priveledged and wealthy. I live with Uttaradevi Naik - Nimbalkar, her mother, and 10 year old son Aju (I don't exactly remember his full name, they just call him Aju so i follow suit). Aju lives with his aunt and grandmother because he goes to a special school in the area. On the weekends his parents and older brother, Satyajeet who is 16, come to stay here. I essentially have the entire second floor to myself (except for the weekends). I have a good sized bedroom and my own bathroom. As expected, my bed is rock hard and the pillow is less than comfortable, but I quickly found a spare quilt and pillow in the closet and use it as extra cushioning. So, more about my family. My host mother is a Math and Statistics professor at the University of Pune. Although she is not very motherly, I don't think she was ever married, we seem to become more comfortable chatting with eachother every day. I am constantly entertained by Aju. He is soft spoken, but not afraid to say ridiculous things. The second day I was here I think I spent most of the day sitting by him reading. He told me how he wants to read Shakespeare and Charles Dickens, and to my surprise, he pulled out an old copy of the Tale of Two Cities and flipped through the pages. He has told me how he wants to go to journalism school in France, and visit Los Angeles, and become a diplomat. I think every night at dinner he has decided on new country to travel to. One afternoon I was sitting with him and his grandmother and he said "I want to go to Iraq, Afghanistan, and Iran. I want to stop international terrorism." It is statements like these that make me smile, he is always speaking of his dreams and aspirations. It is obvious that he receives a good education, despite the fact that he complains about not liking school because the milk smells, the food is bad, he has to do needlework homework, he doesn't like the other students...and on, and on, however, he does like that there is a good bakery next door and they can smell the fresh baked sweets through the windows during school. I also enjoy the company of the grandmother very much. She is well educated and very aware about current issues across the globe. She has traveled throughout Europe and briefly in the U.S. I enjoy simply sitting and listening to her speak and tell me about her perspective on things, both within and outside of India. We once discussed the politics of terrorism, she explained to me the tensions between the diverse states of India, she shared with me her experiences in Europe, her view on Swine Flu...I respect her a lot, and although she speaks very quietly it is nice to sit next to her and ask questions and share my understanding of different issues with her. She also told me she would take me to a shop near by to get a Sari and Salwar Kamiz (the typical Punjabi clothing for women) made. Although I appreciate my comfortable living situation, some of the other girls have been taken out by their host families to go shopping and see more of the city. They were able to purchase some Indian clothing and bangles. It seems as though, due to my family's wealth, they don't like to go to crowded shopping areas (specifically Lakshme Road where all of the young girls buy pretty bangles and inexpensive clothes) and generally stay in the house. I guess I'll just go on my own with some friends.

Thats it for now...I'm going to go hang out with Anju.
I'll be back later with a second attempt to fill in the gaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment